Making Hats & Learning Skills
Friday, November 13, 2009
Sunny but chilly
First cup of coffee in days!
It’s Friday the 13, and I just completed our hat inventory. We have made somewhere between 70-80 hats since we purchased Paul’s Hat Works. That’s something to feel accomplished about I believe. We have lots to go, many top hats to make and finish before December, another felt run this week, but thus far, I’m pretty excited about what we have been able to accomplish, and about the new skills we have learned and will learn.
Skills We’ve Learned:
1. Making straw and felt hats
2. Making top hats (still learning)
3. Renovating, sizing, cleaning, straw and felt hats
4. Deciphering lawyer jargon in contracts
5. Learning to organize systems and managing many deadlines and calendars
6. Inventorying, budgeting, calculating
7. Building, painting, scraping, staining, electrical wiring
New Skills We Want to Learn to Benefit the Shop
More Accounting & Quick books
The complexities of hardening hats
Theatrical hat brims
Top Hat mastering
It’s amazing how much one can learn in 6 months. Good thing we have a lot of time left!